Korean Lesson 03: I sent a package.

소포를 부쳤어요
[soporeul bucheosseoyo.]
I sent a package.

A: 어디 갔다 오셨어요? 급한 전화가 왔었는데.
[Eeodi gatda osyeosseoyo? Geupan jeonhwaga wasseonneunde.
A: Where have you been? You missed an urgent phone call.

B: 그래요? 우체국에 다녀왔어요.
Ggeuraeyo? Ucheguge danyeowasseoyo.]
B: Really? I went to the post office.

A: 무슨 일로요?
[Museun illoyo?]
A: What for?

B: 아, 미국에 있는 딸에게 소포를 부쳤어요. 곧 크리스마스라서 작은 선물 하나 보냈어요.
[A, miguge inneun ttarege soporeul bucheosseoyo. Got keuriseumaseuraseo jageun seonmul hana bonaesseoyo.]
B: I sent my daughter in the States a package. Since Christmas is coming up, I sent her a small gift.

` 부치다[buchida]' has many meanings. One usage implies sending of a package, letters, post cards, etc. When spelling out the word, however, one must be careful not to spell it as in `붙이다[buchida].' Though they sound the same, `부치다[buchida]' of `소포를 부치다[soporeul buchida.] (to send a package)' is spelled differently than `붙이다[buchida].' The latter implies adhesion or sticking to something. Thus, in `우표를 봉투에 붙이다[upyoreul bongtue buchida.] (to affix a stamp to an envelope)' one must say `붙이다[buchida]' and not `부치다[buchida].'